"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

February 27, 2012

Ova's gift

As soon as we found out that Sau was getting married, Ova started to plan something for his little brother.  He had an idea in his mind for months, but it didn't actually all come together until about a week ago.  Ova is very musically talented, I mean...it's amazing how much talent he has with music.  He has the ability to pick up any instrument, listen to a song, and be able to play it like he's been practicing forever......that's what he did with the piano, the guitar, the ukulele, the trumphet....so many instruments he can play now just from listening.  He doesn't know how to read music, he doesn't know which notes on a piece of paper go with which keys on an instrument, but he plays like he does.  His idea was to get a bunch of his cousins and friends together and play an old school Tongan song....and have his little sister Siosiana do a tauolunga to it.  At Tongan weddings, there are always people who do tauolunga's (Tongan dances) to show their love and respect and congrats for the new couple.  Siosiana would have danced anyway, but Ova wanted to make it even more special by having her dance to a live band.  His live band!

My little sister Leka is the most talented tauolunga dancer I know.  She can listen to some music, any polynesian music and make up some dance moves that go along with the words.  Ova called her and asked her to help him with his little surprise.....he wanted her to come up with a new dance for the song they were singing, and to come and teach it to Siosiana.  Leka spent a few days with us teaching Siosi the dance she came up with.

I went to the store with Ova and we bought him a banjo a week before the wedding.  He practiced maybe twice with all his friends, and at Sau's wedding reception, they preformed. IT.WAS.AMAZING!  Ova was so excited about it....like really really excited.....it turned out so nice.  Everything came together exactly how he planned, it couldn't have turned out more perfect!  They were loud, Siosiana danced beautifully...the crowd was cheering and singing along.  Such a great idea!  Such a great gift for his little brother!


8 comments:

Lani M. Latu said...

That was awesome! Why do I feel like I should know your husband?!?! Lol. I know Siosiana, she's related to my husband Fehi, and Esu (Ezra) is one of my hubby's good friends.. and yeah the list goes on with all the people I recognized LOL. Anywayz, your hubby has amazing talent, and I loved listening to that.. I love when they have live bands, especially when it's young people who are singing. Love our tongan culture! :)

Kassie said...

This was the highlight of the night! :) Loved it.. I got some great pictures too of them playing so I will give them to you guys..

pwincessdi said...

that is so sweet :) What a thoughtful guy!!

Meredith said...

You tell Ova to take care of that wrist! And umm, how did I not know he plays instruments after 4 months? That was Andy's major in college. He can play many instruments. I loved seeing that clip.

MARCIA said...

That was tight!! I love gifts from the heart. Job well done Ova.

Mua said...

I am so glad you filmed this bc I missed it. Ova is so talented, reminds me of the song we sang at Ma's party. Leka is so talented, the motions Siosi did were beautiful. I couldn't help but to laugh when I seen Vedo..haha, his hair is crazy. I didn't know Finau played the guitar..awesome! Seeing Sau dancing made me smile, you could tell he loved his gift. Great job Ova!

Kalolaine said...

that was beautiful monica! love how ur husband keeps his roots with his musical talents :)

IONGI FAMILY said...

What a GREAT Gift!! Good Job Ova!!!