"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

December 9, 2011

Angels among us

I got a postcard in the mail last week for the Redwood Memorial Estates annual Christmas Devotional.  They were inviting us for a night of celebrating our loved ones who have passed on. A night that we could spend remembering our baby Cindy.  They provided each family with several luminaries to put around the gravesite and also a sky lantern, which is like a mini hot air balloon to send off into the sky.  Since the devotional fell on a Monday, I thought it would be the perfect FHE. 

It hasn't snowed here yet, but it does get pretty cold at night, so we all bundled up and headed to the cemetary.  The devotional was from 5-8pm....and we got there at about 530.  When we walked into the mortuary, there were tons of luminaries (paper bags cut with different designs...put inside a plastic bag with sand to weigh it down, and a candle) lined up along the wall.  They told us to go ahead and take as many as we needed and then head over to the table to customize them.  We grabbed one for each of us....to put around baby Cindy's grave....then headed over to the table where we all wrote little notes to Cindy and signed our names on the bags.

They had a light dinner there for everyone, but we didn't want to have to carry the luminaries around all night, so we decided to take them to baby Cindy's grave and spend a little time there....then we'd come back for the launch of the sky lanterns and then we'd grab something to eat.  I'm not going to explain in detail what happened the rest of that night, I'm going to post some pictures to show you.....  Pay attention to the sky in all the pictures!



At this point we're watching everyone launch their sky lanterns and Ova leans over to me and says "I feel her here with us".....right after that, I snapped this picture


And then this one...
And then my camera would not take any more pictures....I tried several times, but it wouldn't work.  The battery was full, I still had room on my memory card....but it would not take another picture.  I have no doubt in my mind that she was there with us, along with many other spirits.......I had been taking pictures all night with a clear dark sky.....not until this moment did these blurbs appear.  Then after about 15 minutes I tried one more time to take another picture and this time it worked, and this is what I got....
An absolutely clear dark sky.

I felt overwhelmed.  I cried.  I know my daughter was there with us.  There truly are angels among us!

6 comments:

shaunita said...

What a neat experience, and a great way to remember your little one. I love the drawings Makai and Mone made for the nurses. So cute!

Heather and Kevin said...

What a cool experience!

Tina Tuakoi said...

I always get emotional when I read your blog. I'm sure your baby Cindy was there :) I bet she's always with you.. Beautiful post!

pwincessdi said...

That is so neat that the memorial estates does this. How special :) I loved the floating lanterns, it's gorgeous!

Regina said...

Those blurbs are called "orbs" and they are totally those people that are buried there's spirits including baby Cindy...I have no doubt in my mind that she was there with you that night as she does now and then...I know my mom pops in now and again to check on me and make sure all is well and see how the kids are growing ect...I have no doubt that your baby Cindy is near you more than you even realize...My heart goes out to Monica...I have no idea how you feel and I know that God is taking care of that little girl and they are both watching over baby Katea...that is the reason why she is doing so well...she has her little guardian angels as well as do all of you...Hugs to you Monica...I miss you much..Hang in there, your baby is growing so well..before you know it she will be home. Love you

Regina said...

Those blurbs are called "orbs" and they are totally those people that are buried there's spirits including baby Cindy...I have no doubt in my mind that she was there with you that night as she does now and then...I know my mom pops in now and again to check on me and make sure all is well and see how the kids are growing ect...I have no doubt that your baby Cindy is near you more than you even realize...My heart goes out to Monica...I have no idea how you feel and I know that God is taking care of that little girl and they are both watching over baby Katea...that is the reason why she is doing so well...she has her little guardian angels as well as do all of you...Hugs to you Monica...I miss you much..Hang in there, your baby is growing so well..before you know it she will be home. Love you