"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

August 4, 2011

Big Steps

My oldest son turned 8 years old on July 16th.  I can't believe he's that old already!  He's actually been waiting for a long time for his 8th birthday and has been talking about getting baptized for a while now.  The other day we were driving around and I asked him "Makai, why do you want to get baptized?"  I just wanted to see what his reasons were and if he knew what it meant or why we get baptized.  After asking the question, he looked at me with a 'what do you mean mom' kind of look and he said "so all the bad things I do can go away and I can have the Holy Ghost."  I asked him "so, you don't want to get baptized just because all your older cousins are baptized?  He said "mom, I want to get baptized for me, because that's what Heavenly Father wants me to do."  I smiled big and of course cried just a little.

Makai honestly has been talking about this day probably since he was like 5 years old.  And that little conversation I had with him made me understand and realize that he really is ready and he understands the importance of this step he's going to be taking.

Makai has always been a good kid, since the day he was born I knew he was special.  I'm not just saying that because he's my son, but he just has a very unique, loving, giving, and very spiritual personality.  Sometimes when I'm at home and have nothing to do, I go back and look at some of the blog posts I've written over the years....I did that last night and I came over so many posts I've written about Makai, things he's done, the many many times he's showed his unwavering faith, and the many times he's strengthened mine.  Ova and I are blessed to have a son like him because sometimes when we struggle or fall short....he, our little 8 year old, is the one to set us straight and get us back on track.

This past Sunday Makai had his baptismal interview with the bishop.  The bishop asked him pretty much the same questions I asked him on our drive that day.  Makai was very confident with his answer and he knows why he's getting baptized.  The bishop asked him if he knew his articles of faith and asked him to recite the 4th one.  Makai did with no hesitation.  After the interview the bishop came up to me and all he said was that he had a good talk with Makai and that he's ready!

This Saturday is his big day.  August 6th, 2011 he'll enter the waters of baptism at 3:00pm, being baptized by his father.  What a special day for my little man, and for our entire family!  I've been choking back tears all week as I think about it.  I'm so proud of my son for making the decision on his own to get baptized, and for learning and knowing why it is so important!  He's had 7 older first cousins that have been such good examples to him, and now it's his turn to become a good example for his younger brother and sister and cousins.  I love you so much Makai!  :)

2 comments:

pwincessdi said...

I remember all the posts you posted about Makai too. He is soo spiritually in tune, and he's soo cute the way he loves the gospel and how he's such a missionary naturally. I'm so happy for the choice he made, and I can't wait to see him enter the waters of baptism too! Hope we make it ON TIME! :) Much love to u and ur lil big boy Makai :)

Aki said...

Isn't it crazy how time fly's?? Congrats to your Makai!!