"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

May 15, 2011

QT w/ Ma

Ma's been living with us for the last 8 years, and never before have I seen her with painted fingernails.  But lately, that's been her obsession....and I love it because it's quality time we get to spend with her. 

It all started when she got sick the last time.  She was in the hospital for quite a while and everytime the doctors or nurses would come in and check her leg to make sure the blood was flowing correctly, she would get embarrassed by her toenails.  Keep in mind that she is almost 89 years old, so of course it's normal to have old brittle nails....but she was embarrassed by hers.  It was actually cute to see how much she'd blush or laugh her little embarrassed laugh whenever her toes were exposed......hahaha.....Ova would always joke with her and tell her not to worry about it because she was old, but she didn't care what he said.....she was embarrassed!  I asked her if she wanted me to go home and get some fingernail polish and come and paint her toes and her fingers.....she immediately said YES, and was very excited about it!!

Ever since she's been home, we've been keeping her fingernails pretty and colorful!!  Sau leka, Ova's little brother came over, went in Ma's room and painted her fingernails red.....she loved them!

She kept her nails red for about a week, and then she saw the new color I just put on Lautala.....it was like a bright orange/pink color and she asked me if I could paint her nails that color.  I went to the store and bought some nails polish remover and took off the red so I could put on the new color!


That color lasted about a week too, and then she saw this natural looking color with a golden/shiny tint to it.  Tea found the bottle from her coupon shopping and painted her own nails.....Ma saw it and loved it.  She asked me to change her nail color again to the one that Tea was wearing......it was funny because she asked me to do it when I was on my way out the door to the gym.  I told her I would do it when I got back home....she said ok, but I could tell she didn't want to wait so I told Ova to wait and I went and got the nail polish remover and paint.  I did her nails really quick before I headed out.  She was so happy!

I love Ma.  I am very blessed to have her living with me.  I'm very blessed that my kids know her and are so close to her.  I know she is getting older, and she has had a lot of medical problems lately, but she's a fighter and she's still so strong.  I count these little moments with her, even though they may be small, as a huge blessing and something I will always be able to look back and remember when someday she's not with us.  I've learned a lot from her.....she's one of the most spiritual people I know.  Even though she's almost 89, she still reads her scriptures or church books every day.  She teaches the lesson in our FHE when it's her turn and she prays all the time.  She's a great example of faith and love.  I am blessed.  I am grateful.  I love her!

6 comments:

Melissa Snyder said...

That is so sweet that you paint her fingernails for her. What a sweet lady she must be. I love the picture of Ova's bro. painting her nails. That is true love right there.
Hope all is well. Love ya!

Klarah said...

That is funny that your Ma would be shy about her nails!LOL! This is a great post! Its a wonderful thing to be close to your Ma and be such a great example to your kids at the same time by showing them how little acts of kindness can go a long way regardless of age!! I'm sure they have learned alot from both you and your Ma that will help them build a strong foundation based off the gospel. You are a great example of being family oriented!! Love it..

pwincessdi said...

I guess even at the ripe ole age of 80 you can still have insecurities lmbo. She is too cute! I'm glad you are there for her and able to tend to her needs. You and Ova were meant to take care of her! Love u guys, such a sweet post!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post! I LOVE it! I don't think you could ever outgrow nail polish. Lol She is too cute! :)

Tiff and Kyle said...

Your Ma has such beautiful hands. That is so cool that your kids get to have so much time with her. I love it...
I have some polish if you want it...

Anonymous said...

So cute! Love this post Monica. My hubby's grandma may be moving in with us soon and I can't wait! Keep the great posts coming!
Teuila Livai