"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

March 11, 2013

My little big STAR STUDENT


My handsome Filimone was chosen to be the star student in his class and Ova and I had the opportunity to go to his school and talk a little bit about him.  I'm not good at these kinds of things because I'm the biggest crybaby ever and always end up getting teary eyed.  I don't know why, I'm just a proud mama I guess haha.... I was so glad that Ova came along with me, because he ended up doing all the talking :)  I helped Mone put together his 'About Me' board at home before we headed to school with him.  It was a little 'get to know you better' paper and Mone wrote his favorite color, food, activity, etc....

When we first got there, all his little kindergarten friends were staring at us and I could tell Mone felt so special that we were there.  We went up to the front of the class and had Mone come and stand up in the front with us.  We went over the board we made and the kids in the class would give a big thumbs up if they liked the same things Mone liked....I think all the kids thumbs were in the air the whole time haha.  After we were done with his poster, we opened it up to the class if any of his classmates had any questions or comments for us about Mone.  Lots of the kids raised their hands, but nobody really asked any questions, they all were telling us how nice Mone is and how he's a good friend.  If you know my Mone, you'd know he's one of a kind...he's our little entertainer, but he genuinely cares about and thinks about other people all the time.  There are countless times where Mone has put me before something that he's really wanted.  For example, we were down in Provo one night and we had met up with my mom and my brother and sisters and their kids at McDonald's just so we could eat and let the kids play together.  When we were done, it was pretty late at night.  My brother wanted to take my kids to sleep over at his house.  Makai and Lautala jumped in his car all ready to go with him, but Mone wouldn't go.  He came and told me that he wants to go, but he doesn't want me to drive all the way back to Salt Lake at night by myself.  He's so sweet.  I told him it was ok, that I'd be ok and he could go sleep with Misi, but he wasn't going to go.  Makai and Tala ended up going and Mone drove home with me.  He didn't last to long before falling asleep, but I held his hand all the way home...so grateful for my thoughtful little guy!  That's not the first time he's done that....when Ova was bed ridden, there were countless times that he'd stay home with Ova just to keep him company while the rest of us went somewhere.  He's a very thoughtful kid and I was so glad to see that he's not only that way with us, but he treats his classmates with that same thoughtful kindness.

His teacher added her comments before we left and she was telling us how much she loves having Mone in her class.  She called him the gentle giant because he's so much bigger than anyone in the kindergarten class.  She told us that he is nice to everyone and is friends with everyone in the class.  She told us that he's a big helper, a good listener, and she was just so happy that she got to be his teacher.

My heart was so full when I left his classroom that day.  Filimone is one of a kind and I'm so grateful for his sweet spirit and thoughtfulness.  I love you my handsome Filimone!  My little star!!

No comments: