"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

April 10, 2012

I think it's TIME!

I was helping my mom put away groceries the other day and Lautala comes up to me...."Mommy change my diaper, it's full"

Me and my mom just look at each other and laugh....um, if you're old enough and smart enough to tell me to change your diaper, you're old enough and smart enough to use the bathroom in the toilet.

I changed her diaper and told her the next time she needed to go pee-pee to let me know and I would take her to the bathroom like a big girl.  I kept checking with her all day and asking her if she needed to go pee-pee.  When she finally did, I took her into the bathroom and sat her on the toilet....she pee'd and I made a big deal about it! 

Then I said "Yay Tala, you're a big girl!  We need to go buy you big girl underwear now!  Give me five, you're awesome!"  Etc, etc, etc...

I showed her how to flush the toilet and then we washed her hands...the whole time I'm talking her up for being such a big girl...and she had the biggest smile on her face, so happy that I was so proud of her!  We went out of the bathroom and the celebration continued as I was telling G-ma Cindy how Tala was a big girl and she went to the bathroom in the toilet!  G-ma and Leka celebrated with us and she just felt like the most awesome girl in the whole world!

Unfortunately the excitement wore off....and pretty quickly!  :(  She wasn't interested in using the toilet after that, the only thing she was really interested in was flushing the toilet.  That part of using the toilet, to her, was so awesome!  Whenever she was missing, I would find her in the bathroom flushing the toilet over and over again.

I sat her down and told her that she could only flush the toilet if she went pee-pee or poo-poo in the toilet.  She couldn't flush the toilet if she didnt.

She stopped to process what I had just told her and then she says (scrunching her nose and shaking her head) "oh, I no like flush toilet" and she walked out of the bathroom.

I just had to stand there and laugh.  She is so smart.....I think she's totally playing me....hahaha

Needless to say she's still in diapers and not a bit interested in going to the bathroom in the toilet....and she has completely given up flushing the toilet because she understands that she can only do it if she uses it.....haha  :/

Just the other day I was cooking dinner and Tala comes up to me and says "Mommy, change my diaper"  I asked her "did you poo-poo?"  She said "No mommy, it's really wet"

OMGoodness!

So here we are.  She's smart enough to do it.  She understands when I explain things to her.  But she flat out doesn't want to do it, so she doesn't. 

Hmmmm.....how do I get over that hurdle?  Some people say just give her more time because she just turned 2, some people say to make her.  I've only had to potty train boys before, so really I don't know what to do with a girl.  Any suggestions??!! 

4 comments:

Kassie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm in the same situation with Mr. Toa! He will be THREE in June.. it's killing me.. He knows. He has days where he will go to the bathroom all day in the toilet and then other days he just comes and brings me a diaper and tells me he's wet or poopy!! WTH??? lol I don't know what to do either.. especially because the biggest diaper they make hardly fits him! We try everything too.. he just decides when he wants to be a big boy and when he wants to be a baby..

Fred & Shenna Frost said...

Lol....potty training can definitely be a challenge. Both of my girls were potty trained before they were two but it wasn't always easy. :) We started with pull ups and it wasn't long before we got big girl underwear. They LOVED going to pick them out. Just be firm and encouraging. :)

letafauolo said...

Okay between you and Kass... figure it out and let me know so i can bring my baby girl over for you guys to potty train... sound good?? lol that is too funny.

shaunita said...

All I know is this. You don't want potty training to become a power struggle. That just turns life into H-E-double-hockey-sticks! One thing I read in a potty training book was to say, "time to sit on the potty!" Instead of "do you want to..." or "do you need to..." That way there isn't a question to say "no" to. It worked well with my first two. No matter how long they sit, say "good practicing," etc.