"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

April 15, 2012

Elder Rasband

I think of all the talks given at this past general conference, Elder Ronald A. Rasband's talk hit me the most.  His talk was titled 'Special Lessons'.  He spoke of his grandson who was born with a rare chromosomal disorder and had spent a lot of time in the hospital, specifically in the NICU.  He talked about the staff at the hospital and the incredible care they gave to his grandson... He talked about things the little boy's parents went through, are going through still.....all the fears and heartache.....and things their whole family went through.  It's a trying thing to be faced with a sick child.....I cried through most of his talk because I know exactly what those feelings are that he was explaining.

I took some notes while I was listening to him speak.  And although his entire talk was powerful and inspired, here are the parts that stuck out the most to me...the parts I wrote down:

"Some of the sweetest spirits are housed in the most frail frames"

"To all of you who have challenges, concerns, disappointments, or heartaches with a dear one, know this:  With Infinite love and everlasting compassion, God, our Heavenly Father loves your afflicted one, and he love you too"

(I've added my baby Katea's name in this part of his talk....just to show how his talk applys directly to me)
Shortly after precious Katea was born, we knew Heavenly Father would bless us and teach us special lessons.

God’s works are definitely being made manifest through Katea.

We are learning patience, faith, and gratitude through service, endless hours of intense emotions, tears of empathy, and the prayers and expressions of love for our daughter Katea and for us, her parents.

He shared a quote that Elder Faust shared in a previous talk...."I have a great appreciation for those loving parents who stoically bear and overcome their anguish and heartache for a child who was born with or who has developed a serious mental or physical infermity.  This anguish often continues everyday without relief during the lifetime of the parent or child.  Not infrequently parents are required to give superhuman nurturing care that never ceases day or night.  Many a Mother's arms and heart have ached years on end giving comfort and relieving the suffering of their special child"

He also posed a question, that really got me thinking.....he asked, If you come upon a person who is drowning, would you ask if they need help—or would it be better to just jump in and save them from the deepening waters? The offer, while well meaning and often given, “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all. 

This made me think of myself...how many times have I made that statement "Let me know if I can help".....it made me feel a little guilty at the many times I haven't put into action the urge I felt to help someone in need.  Even though saying "Let me know if I can help" is well meaning, like Elder Rasband said in his talk....very seldom does the person actually let you know what they need, so nothing gets done.  This happened to us a lot while we were in the NICU.  Many people asked us to let them know what we needed.  It's hard to ask for help, but not to accept it when it's offered.  I felt like this a lot.  Some offers were made with sincerity, others were just because they didn't know what to say....so they told us to let them know what we needed just to get out of the conversation......but then there were those that just did it, they didn't ask, they just helped.  Sister Choke and the palangi ward relief society didn't ask....they just made us dinner for a long time......Tea didn't ask, she was just always there to help watch our older kids when we needed it......my parents didn't ask, they just helped when and where they could.....  I'm grateful for them and the many others that helped us get through.  I know now to listen to those promptings I feel and actually do something instead of just asking!

Very powerful talk that really hit home for me.  I love general conference!

Another part of Elder Rasband's talk brought me back to the scriptures....
After His Ressurrection, when visiting the Americas, our Savior, Jesus Christ, reached out to all with this invitation:
“Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy. …

I know that my baby Katea is alive and doing so amazingly well because of the Lord.  When we were at are deepest, saddest and darkest moment, we turned to the Lord and he fulfilled his promise made in that scripture.  Katea is a true live modern day miracle!

How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father for my little champion Katea. Through her the Lord has manifest his works and continues to teach me these valuable, sacred and special lessons

2 comments:

Christa said...

I loved this talk. Paxton's mom has an amazing blog. http://daveandshannonnorton.blogspot.com/

Christa said...

Paxtons mom has a blog
http://daveandshannonnorton.blogspot.com/