"Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you, each other, your children, your grand-children and others throughout the generations. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events." --President Spencer W. Kimball

January 12, 2013

90 years old

When Ova and I got married, 10 years ago, one of the first big celebrations we went to with his whole Fangupo family was Ma's 80th birthday party.  They went all out with dinner, decorations, talents, a slideshow.  It was a big deal!  I can't even believe that it's been 10 years......time is flying right by!

Ma turned 90 years old this year, on January 9th.  90 YEARS OLD!!!  Not everyone makes it to that age, and there were several times that we, ourselves didn't know if she would make it....but she's so strong and here she is, 90 years old!!  Her body is aging and she isn't able to get around as easily as she used to or wants to, but her mind is sharp and she still remembers everyone and everything.  She remembers little details about events that have happened in her life and she loves to share them. I wish so bad that I could understand every word that came out of her mouth, and that she could understand me.....but honestly, without being able to understand each other, we totally understand each other!  I love Ma so much, and I know she loves me!  In fact, I think she loved me even before Ova did....before we even started dating.  She's always been so kind and nice and sweet and welcoming and I honestly can't say enough about this very special and amazing woman!

When Ova and I were still dating, he told me that Ma and Tea were his responsibility and that I needed to be aware that at some point they would live with us and we would take care of them.  We only spent the first year of our marriage alone, and then they moved in with us.  I have been so blessed to have lived with Ma for the last 10 years.  She knows me, she accepts me with all my imperfections, she loves me and she loves my children! 

I've learned a lot about her in the 10 years we've lived together!  She's a woman of great faith and she has read her scriptures, or church literature all the time.....over and over and over again and can tell you any story from the bible or the book of mormon, in great detail.  She's limited to what she can do right now physically, because of her age, but she continues to strengthen her mind by reading and learning and sharing her knowledge.  Ova is a scripture buff as well.  He loves the scriptures and I have no doubt that he gets that love and passion for the scriptures from her.  I am blessed because of it!

We wanted to do something really special and nice for her for her 90th birthday so we all met as a family and threw ideas in on what we could do.  We finally decided that the best idea would be to do exactly what she would want.  Her life revolves around her family....her kids, grandkids and great grandkids....and her ward, so we decided to throw a birthday party for her and invite all those people!  We reserved the gym of a church building, planned on doing finger foods for the guests and a front table for Ma and her honorary guests.  We were going to make it fun so Jr brought his DJ equipment so we could dance.....each family was in charge of preparing a talent or a tribute to Ma....and we were just going to spend time with her and celebrate her life!  It turned out perfect, so much better than we had even planned!  That whole gym was packed.....you could definitely tell how loved she is by the amounts of people who came to celebrate!  Everyone had so much fun, but most importantly Ma had fun!  She was laughing and smiling and clapping almost all night long!  I don't know how much longer she'll be with us....my guess would be at least a few more years!  But I'm so glad to have her in my life.  She's such a special woman and I love her so much.  Happy Happy 90th Birthday Ma!!!  Thank you for everything!

Should have taken a picture of her before her party....this was when all was said and done and she was exhausted!  :)
 
Tea and baby Tea preparing the Lu for the front table
 
Tala girl did a tauolunga, that was the first time she ever got in front of a crowd and actually did it, willingly!  I was SO SO SO proud of her, and Ma was loving it!
 
 Tahitian number by her great grand-daughters

 
 
WE LOVE YOU MA!!  HAPPY 90TH!!!

No comments: